Toad In The HoleChris
Who doesn’t love Toad in the Hole? This great British classic is easy and delicious, perfect for a quick lunch or served with mash potato and a rich onion gravy, to make the perfect supper.
- 1 Kilo Wiltshire Bacon Pork Sausages
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 225g (8 oz) plain flour
- 4 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 300ml (10 floz) milk
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas Mark 7
- In a bowl mix the flour and salt. Make a well in the middle and add the eggs and half of the milk. Whisk until there are no lumps of flour. Gradually mix in the rest of the milk whisking all the time until a smooth batter is achieved. (The consistency should be that of double cream)
- Place the batter mix in the fridge for 20 minutes, or longer if preferred.
- Pour the oil into the bottom of a high sided baking dish and arrange the sausages evenly over the base of the dish. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Remove the sausages from the oven and whilst the tray is still very hot pour the batter over them until the sausages are 3/4 covered. Return to the oven immediately and bake on the top shelf for 25-30 minutes, or until the centre has risen and browned.